St. Maarten is the smallest island in the world to be shared by two nations, the Kingdom of the Netherlands and France, and it lures travelers with fun in the sun, a wide variety of of activities, and several new developments and deals in 2013 created with the intent of adding more bang for the buck. The island features more than 365 different restaurants, 37 beaches, an abundance of day and nighttime diversions including everything from snorkeling and sea adventures to nightlife and gambling.
St. Maarten island updates include:
- Delta Air Lines launched weekly direct service to the island from New York’s John F. Kennedy airport to Princess Juliana Airport. The air service is available every Saturday.
- The Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino is undergoing a $3 million refurbishment and enhancements to conclude in November 2013, resulting in a makeover as it becomes a true all-inclusive resort, where it joins its on-island sister property, the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort & Casino.
- The upscale Blue Mall center in Cupecoy recently opened with Enjoy SXM, Fashion and Chic, Swarovski, Swatch Watches, Bacchus and Yogen Fru for shopping enthusiasts. Throughout 2013, additional stores and amenities will open.
- Divi Little Bay Beach Resort is offering reduced sailing rates starting at $199 per room, per night, based on double occupancy. This offer is valid on new reservations made for travel March 25 – April 1, 2013 on minimum three-night stays.
- The Westin St. Maarten Dawn Beach Resort & Spa is affording travelers a fifth night free through the Sunsational Savings package on stays through December 31, 2013.
St. Maarten Department of Tourism, www.VacationStMaarten.com